Thanks to our generous donors contributing to over 75 Scholarship Funds at the Foundation we are able to provide students in Southwest Florida the opportunity to apply for College Scholarships. We awarded 118individual College Scholarships in 2016 to both high school graduates and undergraduate college students resulting in over $650,000 in financial support to individuals.
Scholarships are available for high school seniors wanting to continue their education at the vocational/technical school level, university or community college, as well as for undergraduate and graduate students continuing their post-secondary education.
PREPARING TO APPLY FOR A SCHOLARSHIP
- OCTOBER 1, 2016, the Federal Student Aid Application (FAFSA) opens for all individuals wishing to pursue post-secondary education. The Student Aid Report (SAR) generated by FAFSA will be required for all need-based scholarship applications.
- A 2-page essay will be required for all scholarship applications.
- Un-official transcripts will be required indicating student’s Fall 2016 grades or most recent transcripts for undergraduate or graduate students.
- SAT and/or ACT test scores will be required.
- Reference letters from an authority figure such as teacher, pastor, mentor or someone who knows you well enough to pass judgement with credibility.
- Review available scholarships that you may apply for here on January 16, 2017.
Merit Based/General Scholarships
Need Based Scholarships
Applying For A Scholarship
The Scholarships Application process opens on opens Monday, January 16th, 2017 and closes Friday, March 3, 2017 at 5pm
- Step 1: Watch the applicant video tutorial or review the applicant written tutorial.
- Applicant Video Tutorial
- Applicant Written Tutorial Link
- Applicant Video Tutorial
The DEADLINE to apply is March 3, 2017 by 5pm.
THE DETERMINATION PROCESS
Scholarship recipients are selected based upon the specific criteria made by each fund’s donor. Each scholarship application is reviewed for completion of all required elements.
Every application is reviewed by a member of the Community Foundation’s volunteer Scholarship Reading Committee. Some scholarships also require a personal interview (applicants applying for those scholarships will be notified and an appointment will be scheduled).
After all applications are reviewed and interviews completed, the Community Foundation’s Board of Trustees will review all recommendations and approve the scholarship awards.
NOTIFICATION OF AWARDS
Recipients of each scholarship will be notified by the Community Foundation by the end of May. If a student has not been notified, it means he/she was not awarded a scholarship this year.
PAYMENT OF AWARDS
Payments are mailed directly to the school’s financial aid office before the beginning of each school year. Checks are made payable to the school and not to the individual recipient.